There are so many people who record their video inside their room and they don’t have any studio to record. Here they face the issue of noise going outside the room or sound is echoing inside the room. It can affect the recording quality and disturb the neighbors too. For these persons, using acoustic or soundproof foam on the wall or ceiling is the best way to deal with this. But many people doubt that does soundproof foam work?
If you are recording in the room then you can place many furniture inside that room to minimize the echo but whoever is recording inside the studio, can’t put the furniture inside the studio.
So, acoustic foam can be used by anyone in order to reduce the echo inside the room. Let’s see does soundproof foam work or not, and if yes, then how effectively?
Does Soundproof Foam Work?
The soundproof foams don’t make your room 100% soundproof but yes it helps to reduce the echo inside the room. The acoustic foams are just named or marketed as soundproof foams but it not really is.
If you are planning to reduce the noise which is coming from the traffic right beside your house then it is not possible by just applying the acoustic foam.
There will be almost 10-20dB difference in noise between a room with soundproof foam and a room without foam. Yes, it won’t affect more than this.
The acoustic foams or soundproof foams will work better if you soundproof all other things of your room like the wall, floor, window, ceiling, doors, etc.
If you want to see how much acoustic foam is effective in reducing the sound. Refer to this video, you can understand it better.
What Does Acoustic Foam Do?
The acoustic foam is a hard sponge-type material that helps in dampening the sounds or absorb them. When the sound is created by vibrating the air particles and creating the waves, the foam helps to reduce those vibrations.
When the vibration is absorbed by the acoustic foam, it doesn’t bounce back striking on the wall or the hard surface, and also doesn’t vibrate the other particles behind the wall. So, the sound doesn’t pass that much thru the wall.
As the sound is not bouncing back after striking the hard surfaces, it doesn’t echo also inside the room so the room seems very silent. So, if you want to soundproof a room from the inside, it can be a good choice.
How Does Acoustic Foam Work?
As you can see in the photo, the foam panels are made up of pyramid-shaped pieces. They are very thick and have high density.
Because of the thickness and high density, it absorbs the sound very well and doesn’t let it bounce back.
There is a difference between soundproofing and sound-absorbing. The soundproofing materials don’t allow a bit of noise going thru them but it doesn’t do anything about bouncing back, on the other hand, sound-absorbing materials let a little amount of sound pass thru them but don’t allow it to bounce back.
So, acoustic foams are sound-absorbing or deadening material that is just marketed with the name of soundproof foams.
How To Use Soundproof Foam?
Usually, acoustic foams are used to soundproof the ceiling and soundproof the walls. But for better results, you can use them on the doors even on the floors.
- Acoustic Foam For The Walls: Wall is the place where almost everyone pastes the acoustic foams. You just need to identify the wall from where the maximum noise enters like the wall which is facing the road. Just cover 25% of that wall with acoustic foam because excess usage will cost more.
- Acoustic Foam For The Ceiling: After walls, the ceiling is the most used place where people paste acoustic foam. Same as the walls, you can cover only 25% of the ceiling with acoustic foams. For a better result, of course, you can cover the whole ceiling.
- Acoustic Foam On Doors: I don’t usually prefer using acoustic foams over the doors but you can use it. It will give a result obviously. If you want to soundproof the door, I always suggest going with soundproof blankets. You can simply nail the blanket over the door(only if the apartment is yours).
- Acoustic Foam On Floors: I never will suggest using the acoustic foams on the floor to soundproof the floor of an apartment. The best way to soundproof the floor is to put the thick high pile rugs or any fluffy rugs over it. They will complement the room and also soundproof the floor.
How To Install Acoustic Foam?
- Step 1: Remove the plastic(or the brand logo) from the back of the foam
- Step 2: Apply the adhesive glue(can get from the market) behind every foam so that it gets stuck nicely to the wall. (some foam comes with the glue behind, so no need to apply extra glue on them)
- Step 3: Paste it on the wall or ceiling. Remember, if you are pasting the foam in the ceiling then there is a high possibility that the foam gets loose and gets detached from the ceiling. So, keep on checking the foam until it gets fixed perfectly to the ceiling.
FAQ On Soundproof Foam
What kind of foam is best for soundproofing?
The thicker and the denser kind of foams will work best for sound deadening or damping inside the room. They will help to absorb the sound and reduce the echo inside the room in a better way. I personally will recommend
>Burdurry 96 packs
>Budurry 50 pack
How effective are soundproof panels?
Soundproof panels are good at reducing sounds with low to medium frequency. You can’t expect it to reduce the noise of traffic beside your house. It can reduce up to 10-15dB of sound normally.
Is yellow sponge is good for soundproofing?
The sponges are usually very thick and well denser. The yellow sponges are really a good soundproofing material that helps to resist the sound waves from bouncing back into the air after striking the walls. Some yellow sponges have low density and some have high density. The sponges with high density will soundproof the room in a better way.
I hope you don’t have any more doubts regarding does soundproof foam work or not. Yes, they work but to a medium limit.
The way you install the foam will affect the soundproofing quality. Always try to go for the thick and high-density panels.
If you soundproof the other parts of the room along with using the acoustic foams, it will give you the best results.
If still, any doubt is there regarding the acoustic foam then comment them down. Every feedback is appreciated.
*Disclaimer: All the above-mentioned products are affiliated products of Amazon*